Re: Effect of radiation on computers

Michael Williamson wrote:

> Here is a question which I noticed on a usenet newsgroup and which the
> poster  has asked me to send to radsafe:
>
> From: Jim Ronback (jronback@direct.ca)
>
> What is the effect of background ionizing radiation on commercial computers?
>
> How often will high energy particles from solar
> flares, cosmic rays, residual radioactive decay in solder (lead used be
> uranium millions of years ago) and in encapsulating materials cause
> anomalous behaviour in a PC / workstation / net server? Is there any data
> available which would allow me to estimate the liklihood of having one or
> more bits flipped in memory or processor registers in
> commercial computers which do not have radiation hardened devices?
> If the likelihood is high enough then perhaps one should not use single
> bit flags in safety critical software.
>
> Any advice or pointers would be appreciated.
>
> Jim Ronback, P.Eng.
> Senior Safety Engineer
> Hughes Aircraft of Canada Ltd.,
> 13951 Bridgeport Road
> Richmond, B.C
> Canada  V6V 1J6
>
> Tel: 604 279 5789
>
> Michael Williamson
>                                         ph +61 7 3365 4504
> Radiation Protection Adviser            fax +61 7 3365 1577
> Occupational Health & Safety Unit       m.williamson@mailbox.uq.edu.au
> University of Queensland
> Brisbane 4072
> Australia

May I suggest that someone do some research on the subject at a research
reactor.  As a former worker at Texas A&M's Nuclear Science Center, I
think that this would be an excellent study at a TRIGA reactor, at least
for nuetron exposure.  The A&M system also has a wide variety of
gamma and beta sources that would make a great thesis for a grad student,
and knock some expenses of research for any company interested - everyone
wins.
--
Robert A. Jones
2909 B. Prairie Flower Circle