Re: Re[2]: Thyroidectomy/Thyroid Burden Measurements -Forwa

> Datum verzending: Thu, 22 Feb 1996 18:45:16 +0100
> Stuur antw. aan:  radsafe@romulus.ehs.uiuc.edu
> Van:              michael_coogen@ccgw1.hq.dla.mil
> Aan:              Multiple recipients of list <radsafe@romulus.ehs.uiuc.edu>
> Onderwerp:        Re[2]: Thyroidectomy/Thyroid Burden Measurements -Forwarded

    A point to note is that total thyroidectomy is most often a
result of thyroid cancer. This increases the probability of distant
metastases, most likely of thyroid tissue. In our nucl. med facility,
a I-131 total body scan is performed to locate these mets, very often
in the thorax, abdomen, and seldom in bone. The presence of these
mets. will determine the clearance of I-131. I might add, these mets.
might be on the micro scale in size !

Mike Pillay
Dept. Nucl Med
Dr. Daniel den Hoed Cancer Center