Re: Personal Dosimetry for Environmental Operations

     Another interesting consideration when measuring a dose at your
     desired level. What are you going to use to determine the natural
     background from which you will subtract a value from the environmental
     dosimeters that are in the area that you are concerned with? Also be
     aware that any measurement derived between the 0.1 and 1 mrem level
     will have a poor confidence level. This valid requirement does pose
     some interesting considerations.

     I would suggest that the first thing you would want to do is to obtain
     some very reliable micro-R/hr readings to determine where you're at.
     Then I would suggest that you place whatever dosimeters you decide
     upon in an area where you get a decent measurement. Then you can take
     that information to determine a more accurate dose rate and then
     identify whether or not the measurement is within or exceeds your
     specification limits.

     More information on what you are trying to accomplish would be
     helpful..

     Sandy Perle
     Supervisor Health Physics
     Florida Power and Light Company