Re: Transport/disposal of smoke detectors

     In partial answer to a recent post regarding the handling of
     non-licensed (home-use) smoke detectors, there is an NRC Position
     Statement entitled "Disposal Requirements for Specific and Exempt
     Smoke Detectors." It states, in part "...detectors distributed as
     exempt items ... exempt from regulatory requirements regarding the
     smoke detectors, and they may be disposed of as ordinary trash." Also
     "To the extent that you possess domestic smoke detectors distributed
     as ordinary exempt units, you are exempt from any regulatory
     requirements. Therefore, you may dispose of these units as ordinary
     trash."

     This does not specifically address transportation, but if they can be
     disposed of as ordinary trash and are "exempt from any regulatory
     requirements" I would have to believe that they do not have to be
     labeled, placarded, etc. when the hypothetical family moves and takes
     them with them. (If I go to the local hardware store, buy a smoke
     detector, and drive across a state border, do I have to "ship" the
     smoke detector as rad material? The answer is clearly, NO! In
     addition, if I have an accident on the way home with my new smoke
     detector, does the accident involve hazardous materials? From a
     regulatory standpoint, the answer is also no.)

     standard disclaimer stuff......not my employer's opinion.....etc.....

     Steven D. Rima, CHP
     sdrima@sandia.gov