Training for I-125 Brachytherapy

Our radiation oncology service occasionally performs permanent I-
125 implants on patients with deep abdominal tumors (pancreatic,
etc.).  In these cases, it is virtually impossible for the sources
to be dislodged or come out of the body.  Also, the dose rate at
one meter from the implant site is background.  If your facility is
also performing this type of therapy, how do you handle the
training as required in 10 CFR 35.410?  Do you train all OR and
recovery room staff, as well as the nursing staff on the unit?
What about doctors and residents who are caring for the patient but
are not radiation oncologists?  It seems almost useless to train
the nursing staff once the patient is "sewn up" and the sources are
secure and cannot become dislodged, but according to the
regulations, "the licensee shall provide radiation safety
instruction to all personnel caring for the patient undergoing
implant therapy."

All replies are greatly appreciated.

Mary Beth Taormina, M.S.
Radiation Safety Manager