Re: UV Tanning

> Anyone out there familiar with studies on UV-A risks that could
>provide me some data?  I would also be interested in hearing from
>our colleagues in the UK, which I believe regulates tanning salons
>(unlike the U.S.).  How reliable are the claims of the manufacturers
>that the bulbs only emit UV-A?

I would refer you to NRPB-R269  published November 1994, HMSO,
ISBN 0-85951-374-2.      Cellular and Molecular Effects of UVA and
UVB.    N A Cridland and R D Saunders.
 Abstract of contents
   "The evidence for the cellular and molecular effects of exposure to
ultraviolet radiation (UVR) has been reviewed.    Human exposure to
UVR has been associated with the development of malignant skin
tumours and this review concentrates on effects relevant to this
process, with paticular emphasis on wavelength dependance.
   There is evidence that UVR acts as a complete carcinogen
influencing all three major stages of skin carcinogenesis, initiation,
promotion and progression.
   Exposure to UVR may influence tumour progression through a
number of mechanisms, including further photochemical damage to
DNA, induction of cellular responses which may increase genetic
instability, and widespread changes in components of the immune
system present in the skin.  The latter results in an
immumosuppressive effect which may compromise the ability of the
body to identify and destroy cancerous cells.
   Recommedations for further research are made."
423 references are listed.

In the UK, the Health and Safety at Work etc Act 1974 and
Management of Health and Safety Regulations 1992 provide the
general regulatory framework, there is guidance available on UV
commercial equipment and there was a notable successful
prosecution  where someone received burns from overexposure as a
result of equipment which had a faulty timer.   There is a British
Standard for UV tanning equipment for household and similar use (BS
EN 60335-2-27).

I hope that helps with your enquiry.

                 Gus Zabierek
             Health & Safety Adviser/RPA