From:"root@romulus.ehs.uiuc.edu" <root@romulus.ehs.uiuc.edu>
To: Multiple,recipients,of,list,radsafe@romulus.ehs.uiuc.edu
Subject: Re: Transportation

So equip your survey instruments with a "consumer commodity" lantern mantle
(the old ones
that contained Thorium and worked well both as check sources and lantern
mantle, not the
new Gold Top mantles).

Oh no, don't tell me - it's probably no longer a "consumer commodity" if
stuck on the side of a
survey meter!

And the individual sitting next to me on the plane that has just come from
treatment at the nuclear medicine section of the local hospital . . .

Barb Flook
bflook@asrr.arsusda.gov

>I do NOT believe that survey instruments containing radioactive material are a
>"consumer commodity."  Thus, whether or not the source is "licensed", if it
>meets the DOT definition of radioactive material (> 2 nCi/g), it must be
>considered hazardous material, and must meet DOT and/or IATA requirements.

--Boundary-1654444-0-0--