RE: RAM SHIPPING

Well, I guess its my turn to jumb into the fray!

If you ship a package of RAM that meets the criteria for Radioactive
Material, Excepted Package-Limited Quantity of Material, UN2910 or any of the
other excepted catagories of RAM, then yes you can carry aboard passenger
aircraft.  Provided that you follow the regulations listed in 49 CFR 173.421,
173.421a etc.  Don't forget you also need to follow IATA Dangerous Goods
Regulations-37th Edition.

Now would I recommend that you carry such materials into the passenger cabin
            NO WAY!

Why? well it is a little hard to explain to the common public what you are
doing with an object marked "RADIOACTIVE", if your brief case were to fall
out of one of those nifty over head compartments, and the contents fell all
over the aisle.

I would package it according to the regs. and put it in my checked luggage.

                                      Israel Putnam
                                  Radioactive Material Supply Officer
                                  Radiation Safety, NIH

These opinions are my own, so don't blame anybody else for them.
ip20Q@nih.gov