Re: Information-vs-opinions

In message <INELVM1.XAT.380439090096065FINELVM1@INEL.GOV>, ALDEN N
TSCHAECHE <XAT@inel.gov> writes

>You hit a nerve. I, for years, have been trying to get newspapers, news
>broadcasters and other news suppliers to identify clearly when they are
>presenting opinions as opposed to facts (information). I have not yet
>succeeded. We might have more success with those on the internet, but I
>have my doubts. To reply to your direct question, it might be acceptable
>to those on this BB to identify opinions by placing an O immediately
>after the Subject:. Similarly with an I to indicate "information". I
>don't know if Mellissa would approve. I suspect you should ask her.
>Clearly YOUR message would not fall into the category of "information."
>It is clearly an "opinion." No? So, should all of us on this BB share
>your opinion? Maybe, if we all agree to do so. I will wait until more
>have ex-pressed their opinions before I make up my mind about what is
>appropriate to do.xat@inel.gov
>
>*** Reply to note of 03/05/96 08:47
>
>From: Donald L. Haes, Jr.
>To: RADSAFE --INELMAIL RADSAFE
>
>Subject: Information-vs-opinions
>Am I the only one tired of reading other peoples' OPINIONS about a subject
>matter from one
>requesting INFORMATION? Each time information is requested on this server,
>someone (or more
>than one) feels that they just have to express an opinion, whether acccurate
>or not.  While
>everyone is entitled to their opinion, everyone else may not want to read
>them.  Can those
>expressing their OPINIONS please put that in the subject header, so those of
>us looking for
>INFORMATION don't waste our time trying decipher between fact and conjecture?
>Or maybe send
>them to the requester only as such?  I receive 50-75 messages from this server
>each day, with
>many of them containing little or no useful substance.
>
>Thanks.

-Opinions / Information
It is precisely the exchange of both information and opinions that gives the net
its rich blood; as a user from across the pond, I have derived great
encouragement from reading about my US counterparts, particularly concerning
legislation. We have an expression over here, Donald, please don't be snotty.-
Dr. Neil Utting