Re: Pu-238 Pacemakers

Professor Cohen is still giving false information.  As a pacemaker user
(or does one wear a  pacemaker ?)and internist :(1) most pacemakers use
lithium batteries, which are far from ordinary, even though not using
pu-238. (2) Operations for changing batteries/pacemakers are a local
procedure, but far from trivial. (3) Finally, while some batteries can
last ten years, most don't have such a long life expectancy.  Seven years
is often cited, but to some extent that depends on the functions which are
 powered, and strength at which the signal is set.  Pacemaker users
should have regular check-ups by specially trained staff, especially as the
batteries get older. This is sent to all radsafe because the misinformation
offerred by Dr. Bernard L. Cohen may be harmful.
John Goldsmith, M.D., Professor of Epidemiology
                 gjohn@bgumed,bgu.ac.il