Re: Static discharge

How about an experimental approach to answering the original question.
See how long a spark can be drawn by various activities--- this also
depends on humidity, etc. Use this to determine the voltage. If the spark
is 15 mm long, the voltage is 15 mm/ 0.3 mm/KV = 50 KV. This is somewhat
typical, but higher than average for simply walking on a rug.

Bernard L. Cohen
Physics Dept.
University of Pittsburgh
Pittsburgh, PA 15260