Re: Management of highly radioactive human cadavers

So, if the cremated patient is contaminated with licensed material, are
the contaminated ashes still subject to regulatory requirements as
radioactive material? Or should they be generally licensed? If so, under
what part of 10CFR? What say the regulators?? Al Tschaeche xat@inel.gov

*** Reply to note of 03/12/96 08:35
To: RADSAFE --INELMAIL RADSAFE

Subject: Re: Management of highly radioactive human cadavers
Radsafers,

I would also be interested in experience with, or literature about, the
cremation of patients containing radioactive materials.  Although the
available guidance (e.g., NCRP 37) relies on the theory that most of the
radioactivity will be eliminated through the crematory stack, thus diluting
it, and reducing or eliminating the hazard to crematory workers and the
public, my real life experience, surveying crematory ovens, has demonstrated
that that is not the case.  I have seen significant levels of contamination
in the oven, on the worker's tools, and in the deceased's ashes.  I would be
VERY interested in hearing other's opinions and experiences.

Barbara L. Hamrick
BLHamrick@aol.com