Collective dose and its monetary valuation

     Another point of view:  In years past, we used the common power
     plant $/person-rem derivation related to the costs associated
     with replacing a worker who reached administrative control levels
     and therefore was no longer available for radiation work.  Since
     this was a rare occurence, about seven years ago our budgeting
     people objected (when presented with alternatives in a bidding
     process) and caused us to revise the basis for our $/person-rem
     value.  We finally got concurrence with the budget folks and
     settled on a sum of societal costs (derived from an update of
     older figures in literature associated with health detriment),
     training costs, and the value of radiation protection services
     (which was the majority of the value).  The concept is simply
     what is the "extra cost" for radiological work (dosimetry,
     contamination control, waste disposal, HP coverage, etc.)  For
     three types of work (high dose/high HP support, low dose/moderate
     HP support, and moderate dose/low HP support) we found a total
     cost of about $10,000/person-rem.  This figure was applied when
     alternatives were presented such as the extra cost for
     remote/robotic equipment vice manual.  As others have mentioned
     and experienced, rarely can these figures provide sufficient cost
     benefit to drive plant modifications for dose reduction.  A good
     review of the issue was written by John Baum of Brookhaven in the
     March/April 1991 Nuclear Plant Journal.  Also, note that the NRC
     recently published in NUREG-1530 an update of the figure used in
     their internal evaluations of cost justification for dose
     avoidance associated with new regulatory requirements (now
     $2000/person-rem).

     Eric Goldin
     Southern California Edison
     goldinem@songs.sce.com