Re: Collective dose and its monetary valuation

--Boundary-1732582-0-0

Mr. Mure:

You're obviously not familiar with the American legal system.

But, putting that aside, the whole concept of $/man rem is based on the belief
that any exposure is harmful.  This served us well, when doses were high and
employers pushed exposures to the limit, but it is now largely irrelevent.

We must resist the temptation to seek job security by protecting people
against trivial risks.  The question of whether a radiation injury threshold
exists is meaningless in practical terms, since there is a de facto threshold
at which the risks, if any, from radiation exposure are undetectable when
compared to other risks of life.  It is really pointless to spend any amount
of money to control radiation exposure below this point, since the money could
be better spent on activities which reduce other risks, such as stop-smoking
programs, better medical care, improved industrial safety, etc.  The
credibility of our profession is at stake.

Here's to a risk free world, and other fantasies.

Regards,

Bill Lipton

--Boundary-1732582-0-0