Re: Mixed waste determination

>I am faced with a possible mixed waste issue and am trying to make a
>hazardous waste determination on the following commercial products:
>
>1) Dekasol II decontamination solution
>2) Nalgene glassware soap concentrate

If the materials are unused, they can be :

ignitable               (flash point <141 F),
corrosive               (pH of liquid product -- NOT solution -- <2 or >12.5),
reactive                (giving off hydrogen sulfide or hydrogen cyanide on
                        contact with pH 2 solution of HCl),
toxic                   (Containing any of 8 regulated metals or some toxic
                        solvents -- unlikely), or
Listed                  containing, as the _sole_active_ingredient_, one of the
                        materials listed in the P-list or the U-list of 40 CFR
                        261.34.

If the materials are used, they can be:

ignitable               (flash point <141 F),
corrosive               (pH <2 or >12.5),
reactive                (giving off hydrogen sulfide or hydrogen cyanide on
                        contact with pH 2 solution of HCl), or
toxic                   (Containing any of 8 regulated metals or some toxic
                        solvents -- unlikely).

I was unable to locate MSDS for these products easily, but I have a feeeling
they are pretty tame.  Most detergents are sufonic acid salts, and do not
contain regulated metals nor cyanides/sulfides in unforgivable quantities.

Hope this helps.

John

*John DeLaHunt, EHS & RSO * 1125 Glen Avenue          *
*The Colorado College     * Colorado Springs, CO 80905*
*jdelahunt@cc.colorado.edu* VOX:  (719)389-6678       *
*        Owner:           * FAX:  (719)635-3177       *
*hazmat-l@cc.colorado.edu *                           *
***********This message is hereby disclaimed***********