Re: Food irradiation info

At 02:14 PM 3/18/96 -0600, SSG Michael Williamson wrote:

>               I need some assistance finding information on the food
>          irradiation process.  What I am looking for is,
>          information on the pros and cons of this process and
>          general information for an English paper I need to write.
>          Any assistance is greatly appreciated.

Makes me start to think... when does our professional correspondence become
a way for students to avoid having to do the valuable research associated
with completing such an assignment?  Is an internet search (i.e., consulting
competent professionals _personally_) a reasonable substitute for
researching publications?  Is such activity avoiding needless "weeding
through" information that is unimportant for the final report, or cheating
(no implications, by the way, just asking)?  Is this an acceptable product
of an increasing technical literacy?  After all, back in the OLD days (e.g.,
500 years back), one probably consulted the competent professionals rather
than looking in publications.  Are we helping or hindering students by
providing information via this mechanism?

Food for thought...

Scott O. Schwahn, CHP
Operational Health Physicist
Continuous Electron Beam Accelerator Facility
(804)249-7551 (w)
(804)249-7363 (fax)
schwahn@cebaf.gov