re: Re: Food irradiation info

At 15:49 PM 3/18/96, Scott O. Schwahn, CHP wrote:

>Makes me start to think... when does our professional correspondence become
>a way for students to avoid having to do the valuable research associated
>with completing such an assignment?  Is an internet search (i.e., consulting
>competent professionals _personally_) a reasonable substitute for
>researching publications?  Is such activity avoiding needless "weeding
>through" information that is unimportant for the final report [...]

I don't usually get involved in the RADSAFE discussions, but I have to offer
my opinion, for the benefit of all the students out there.  I think Scott
Schwahn, CHP may be a bit too hard on SSG Michael Williamson here, and
perhaps he forgets what it was like being a student himself.  The request was
for some references regarding food irradiation to write an English paper,
*NOT* a thesis, and I don't see anything wrong with him asking for help.
Similarly, I don't see anything wrong if the professionals out there want to
help.

I can recall many times in school when there just wasn't much out there for
resources when it came to writing a paper, especially on specific radiation
topics, and sometimes there is no choice but to ask for help.  RADSAFE has
many knowledgable people on it who could help if they wanted to help.  What
good is it to be a professional in this field if you don't welcome the
opportunity to help people?

In this case, asking for references on RADSAFE will probably only partially
help, and probably will not provide all the references that it would take to
write an English paper.  Michael will still probably have to find more
references by "weeding through" other unimportant information.  But at least
we can point him in the proper direction.  So in my opinion, if anyone out
there wants to help Michael Williamson with his English paper, I think they
should.

Thanks for letting me put my two cents in.

 Steven J. Alford, M.S.
 Radiation Safety Officer
 Dana-Farber Cancer Institute
 Boston, Mass.