Radiation Synovectomy

One of our physicians has posed a question.
Radiation Synovectomy is the intracavitary use of isotopes
in the knee or other joints for therapeutic reasons. The
Nuclear Medicine textbook I have available describes this
as a routine clinical procedure, using colloidal gold-198.

Better isotopes for this therapy exist, specifically P-32
and Y-90. The question is, what is the regulatory status
of the use of these isotopes for radiation synovectomy.
Does the FDA consider this to be approved for routine use, and
if so, who markets the radiopharmaceuticals?

Any suggestions would be appreciated.

Stanley L. Wilson, M.M.Sc	            Phone (404)-727-0729
Deputy RSO                                  Fax   (404)-727-5904
Emory University EHSO                       swilson@emory.edu
312 Dental Building
1462 CliftonRoad
Atlanta, Ga 30322     http://userwww.service.emory.edu/~swilson/