Re: PREGNANCY & I-131 HYPERTHYROID RX

>How long do you (Nuclear Medicine Services) advise female hyperthyroid
>patients to wait before attempting to become pregnant after having received
>up to 15 mCi I-131?  Are you aware of any literature pertaining to this
>subject?

ICRP Publications 52 and 68 give guidance on this.

ICRP 68 (Section 5.5) states "It is advisable that a woman not attempt to
become pregnant until the activity remaining in the woman's body is such
that it will not cause the absorbed dose in the conceptus to exceed 1 mGy."

ICRP 52 (Section 2.2.7) uses the same sentence, and then adds "This would
ususally mean delaying pregnancy after hyperthyroidism therapy with I-131
for about 6 months. "

Regards

Richard Smart PhD
Department of Nuclear Medicine