Controlled Areas

Once again I'm confused.  I don't understand the concept of a controlled
area, specifically as it applies to university/hospitals.  Let's start
with definitions.  A controlled area is an area "outside of a restricted
area but within the site boundary, access to which CAN be limited by the
licensee for any reason."

Question 1  -  Does this mean that even though access can be limited, it
MAY not be limited?

If this is true, then consider the definition of an unrestricted area:
"an area, access to which is neither limited nor controlled by the licensee."

Question 2 - Does this mean that controlled areas and unrestricted areas
can overlap?

There is supposed to be a regulatory advantage to declare an area a
controlled area, e.g., 2 mrem in any hour no longer applies.  But if I
limit access because of the dose rate, then the area is a restricted
area by definition.  I don't understand!

Also, can someone tell me where the REGULATIONS stipulate what LIMITING
access to controlled and restricted areas means?  Is signage adequate?
Rope and stantion barriers?  Security guards with assult weapons?

Thanks in advance for the enlightenment.

Kent Lambert
LAMBERT@hal.hahnemann.edu

These are my thoughts.  If they are wrong
I accidentally pressed the send instead of
the delete key.  My employer makes no claim
to endorse my opinions.