Re: Controlled Areas

Kent Lambert writes:
> Once again I'm confused.  I don't understand the concept of a controlled
> area, specifically as it applies to university/hospitals.  Let's start
> with definitions.  A controlled area is an area "outside of a restricted
> area but within the site boundary, access to which CAN be limited by the
> licensee for any reason."

and
> Also, can someone tell me where the REGULATIONS stipulate what LIMITING
> access to controlled and restricted areas means?  Is signage adequate?
> Rope and stantion barriers?  Security guards with assult weapons?

I'm interested in this question as well.  At our small university,
I'm the only regular user of radioisotopes (and the RSO as well).  I
share lab space with another PI who doesn't use isotopes.  Several
students do work in the room, and housekeeping personnel empty
wastebaskets.  Since I only use small quantities of soft beta
emitters, my solution was to declare my lab a "controlled area".  For
me, this means the door stays locked when no one is present, and only
people signing a release form saying they won't mess with anything
on/around radioactive work areas are allowed in without supervission.
 A sign on the door states these things.
    This practice is described in our license renewal (agreement
state) application.  I have not heard yet whether the authorities like
or dislike this. In my case, I'm trying to use the ambiguity to
create a safe but easily workable solution.  Other opinions?

David F. Gilmore,
Assistant Professor of          0  0
Environmental Biology            __    "have a day"
Arkansas State University