Re: Controlled Areas

I believe (emphasize BELIEVE) that the root of the confusion lies in the
various definitions of "controlled area."  The definition you reiterated is
the 10CFR20 version, which is an area for SECURITY reasons.  The DOE version
is for RADIOLOGICAL reasons, and is quoted in its entirety as follows: "Any
area to which access is managed in order to protect individuals from
exposure to radiation and/or radioactive materials.  Individuals who enter
only the controlled area without entering radiological areas are not
expected to receive a total effective dose equivalent of more than 0.1 rem
(0.001 sievert) in a year" (DOE RadCon Manual [DOE/EH-0256T], 1994).
"Radiological Areas" are defined as Radiation, High Radiation,
Contamination, High Contamination, and Airborne Radioactivity areas.

Regards, ron

>Once again I'm confused.  I don't understand the concept of a controlled
>area, specifically as it applies to university/hospitals.  Let's start
>with definitions.  A controlled area is an area "outside of a restricted
>area but within the site boundary, access to which CAN be limited by the
>licensee for any reason."
>
>Question 1  -  Does this mean that even though access can be limited, it
>MAY not be limited?
>
>If this is true, then consider the definition of an unrestricted area:
>"an area, access to which is neither limited nor controlled by the licensee."
>
>Question 2 - Does this mean that controlled areas and unrestricted areas
>can overlap?
>
>There is supposed to be a regulatory advantage to declare an area a
>controlled area, e.g., 2 mrem in any hour no longer applies.  But if I
>limit access because of the dose rate, then the area is a restricted
>area by definition.  I don't understand!
>
>Also, can someone tell me where the REGULATIONS stipulate what LIMITING
>access to controlled and restricted areas means?  Is signage adequate?
>Rope and stantion barriers?  Security guards with assult weapons?
>
>Thanks in advance for the enlightenment.
>
>Kent Lambert
>LAMBERT@hal.hahnemann.edu
>
>These are my thoughts.  If they are wrong
>I accidentally pressed the send instead of
>the delete key.  My employer makes no claim
>to endorse my opinions.

          Ron Morgan <rgmorgan@lanl.gov>
          Operational Health Physics (ESH-1)
          Los Alamos National Laboratory