RE Controlled areas

{Original Msg: 'Controlled Areas' from <radsafe@romulus.ehs.uiuc.edu>
{
{Once again I'm confused.  I don't understand the concept of a controlled
{area, specifically as it applies to university/hospitals.  Let's start
{with definitions.  A controlled area is an area "outside of a restricted
{area but within the site boundary, access to which CAN be limited by the
{licensee for any reason."
{
{Question 1  -  Does this mean that even though access can be limited, it
{MAY not be limited?
{
{If this is true, then consider the definition of an unrestricted area:
{"an area, access to which is neither limited nor controlled by the licensee."
{
{Question 2 - Does this mean that controlled areas and unrestricted areas
{can overlap?
{
{There is supposed to be a regulatory advantage to declare an area a
{controlled area, e.g., 2 mrem in any hour no longer applies.  But if I
{limit access because of the dose rate, then the area is a restricted
{area by definition.  I don't understand!
{
{Also, can someone tell me where the REGULATIONS stipulate what LIMITING
{access to controlled and restricted areas means?  Is signage adequate?
{Rope and stantion barriers?  Security guards with assult weapons?
{
{Thanks in advance for the enlightenment.
{
{Kent Lambert
{LAMBERT@hal.hahnemann.edu
{
{These are my thoughts.  If they are wrong
{I accidentally pressed the send instead of
{the delete key.  My employer makes no claim
{to endorse my opinions.
{
{

To quote a famous TV commercial "Parts is Parts!"  I know of know
explanation of what constitutes control.  I was given the initial
indication I would be cited for having the 2 mR/hr line from a
thyroid carcinoma patient outside of his room by about 2 feet, as
document by my survey.  I had put tape on the floor and alerted the
nusring staff.  The room was at the end of a hall but visible from
the nursing station.  I submitted an argument to the NRC Inspector
and her supervisor [inspectors do not have final say on what consitutes
a violation or merits a citation] saying that daytime staffing had one
person in the hallway and someone at the nursing station, pm staffing
likewise and grave about .6 and nobody on the nursing station, but no
visitors allowed.  I pointed out that the >2 mR/hr [BTW this was under
the old part 20] was transient, only lasting for a day and the probability
that someone could stand in the 2 foot space, unnoticed for a full hour
was pretty small.  I was not cited.

VA Medical Center, 1055 Clermont St. MS 115 - DISCLAIMER
Denver, CO 80220; 303-399-8020 x2447 FAX 393-4656 Opinions = Mine
FAX 303-393-4656, vernig.peter@forum.va.gov Opinions =/ VA or USA