Subject: Re: Job coverage for contaminated filters
Author:  radsafe@romulus.ehs.uiuc.edu at INTERNET
Date:    4/2/96 4:34 PM

I recall that someone at Los Alamos was having a similar Be-7 monitoring
problem.  Might try them
for the monitoring solution.  Be-7 is also a significant nuclide at SLAC.  I
thought they were
going to try to get relief from DoE for the limits for this nuclide.

I do not have any direct experience but would try a thin crystal NaI optimized
for the .48 MeV
photon.  But if you have a high background level it will be impossible.

As to the filters, I suggest you get the engineer who designed the installation
to volunteer to
demonstrate a safe changeout.  Maybe he will learn some practical engineering
techniques.