Re: Job coverage for contaminated filters

     I have heard references to Be-7 as being produced by spallation
     interactions in the atmosphere and therefore being "naturally
     occurring".  It is postulated that the only reason this usually shows
     up in large Mega-cfm samples is due to the small amounts produced.
     I've seen large outside-air intake filters show up with activity
     amounts that could only be seen with GeLi count systems with 15 to 30
     minute count times and activities around 10E-10 microCi or less for a
     450 ml sample of torn up filter media.

     I work at a nuclear power station, so we have a few other isotopes to
     worry about.  If Be-7 were to show up with the usual Pb, Ac, Bi, with
     the absence of activation or fission products, it would be classified
     as only possessing naturally occurring nuclides and not subject to any
     radiological control.

     What type of facility do you have?  What type of sources and what do
     you credit as the source of Be-7?

     Glen Vickers
     HP, Nuclear Power Generation
     BRZGV@ccmail.ceco.com
     815-458-2801 ext. 2792

     Usual disclaimer...Any comments out there?