Re[2]: Palo Verde

     This does not sound so unfamiliar.  It is not too uncommon to
     accidentally shorten and twist a bundle or two due to locating-pin
     misalignment during the setting of the upper internals.  It is easy to
     visualize a twisting action occurring when attempting to squash such a
     long object with slender structural elements with little resistance to
     horizontal deflection.

     Root cause...good money says that the last time they lifted the upper
     internals, they moved laterally when they should have only been
     lifting upwards and bent some locating pins.  When the upper internals
     were reset, the pins do not line up and that is how bundles become
     shortened slightly and possibly twisted(about the same length as the
     pin).  I would think the amount of shortening/pin length would be an
     inch or less.  I've never seen the pins that close and don't have any
     immediate figures or drawings, so the length is a guestimate.

     Second thought would be that the lower locating pins did not line up
     properly when the bundle was put in on core reload causing the bundle
     to sit a little higher than usual.  The upper internals squashed the
     bundle and distorted the lower pins/bundle support and this is why
     they can't pull it out.  A distorted grid strap may also be catching
     on an adjacent bundle and add to or cause the same effect.

     The amount of gas/fission producets that could be liberated from the
     damage of one fuel should be insignificant for that volume and
     immeasurable after being diluted by containment ventilation and the
     vent stacks (approx. 200,000 cfm) leaving the building.  I'm sorry but
     I don't have a concentration magnitude, but the volume of gas in a
     bundle would have to be 500 ml or less.

     The only other concern would be to the site itself with the hopes of
     not spilling fuel pellets into the bottom of the core.  It would
     certainly be a hassle have to worry about possibly lifting out the
     lower internals to get to any that may fall through the lower support
     plate.

     This is what they make cool underwater cameras for.  Perhaps they
     could place a covering over the area of the lower support plate where
     the bundles have been removed (metal screen to handle thermal and
     other environmental stuff) to minimize the possibility of pellets
     falling throught the lower support plate.  Can't quite remember the
     size of the flow holes in the lower support plate, but I would
     certainly think they would be large enough for the pellets to fall
     through.  They could then use a "porta-power" type device (hydrolic
     duck bill) attached to the end of one of their wonder fuel handling
     rods and wedge it under the lower support plate for the bundle.  They
     could jack they bundle off of the lower support plate while they lift
     the bundle with ordinary means.  This would put the additional forces
     between the lower support of the bundle and the lower internals and
     not to the semi-mechanically fragile bundle itself.  They could
     probably try the jacking first without the screen and evaluate as they
     go.  Such a rig would only take a shift or two to to make up in
     high-dollar nuclear world time.

     That last paragraph of babbling just turned on a light bulb in my head
     and I think I'll call Palo Verde myself...

     I would not want to ask the fine folks at Palo Verde how much critical
     path time they are losing due to this problem ($$$/day)

     Total risk to the public...certainly orders of magnitude less than
     that from drinking 8 oz. of tap water.

     Glen Vickers
     HP, Nuclear Power Generation
     BRZGV@ccmail.ceco.com