Re: Current shortage of HP positions

>1. Is the current perceived shortage of available positions the
result of cutbacks in the government (most notably DOE), or has the
demand for HPs reached a plateau?  If so, will it remain there?<

Due mainly to cutbacks. It is a matter of company's, be it a nuclear
utility or hospital, or whatever, thinking that the bottom line
dollar is more important than performing a real assessment of what
accountabilities and consequences will be found IF a number of
professional HPs are cut.

As I write this I might be out of a job myself, after 20.5 years at
FPL. The decision has been made, we just haven't been notified yet.
So, I'll most likely be hitting the phones and street looking for a
job, although the needs that I have been responsible for are still
valid and have not diminished.

     >2. If the demand for HPs has reached a plateau, and I'm not
     necessarily saying it has, are we doing those currently in college a
     disservice by encouraging them to enter health physics?  It's one
     thing to encourage someone who won't be expected to enter the work
     force for some time; it's another thing to encourage people who are
     just about to enter the work force into a flat market.<

     Probably. If HPs are being laid off, and there isn't any foreseeable
     sign that this will turn around soon, and believe that it won't, the
     students of today are being led sown a path to starvation. This is a
     sad state of affairs, believe me. I receive several requests for jobs
     each month. The only thing I can say is that I most likely won't have
     the misfortune of answering these request anymore.

     Regards,

     Sandy Perle
     Supervisor Health Physics (so far)
     Florida Power and Light Company