Current shortage of HP positions

On 4/3/96 Melissa Woo wrote:

So, to "stir the pot" --

1. Is the current perceived shortage of available positions the
result of cutbacks in the government (most notably DOE), or has the
demand for HPs reached a plateau?  If so, will it remain there?

2. If the demand for HPs has reached a plateau, and I'm not
necessarily saying it has, are we doing those currently in college a
disservice by encouraging them to enter health physics?  It's one
thing to encourage someone who won't be expected to enter the work
force for some time; it's another thing to encourage people who are
just about to enter the work force into a flat market.

I recently (December '95) graduated from the University of Florida
with an M.S. in Health Physics. The current shortage of available
positions is not perceived, it is very real. I find it disturbing
when someone has a 3.9 GPA with an M.S. degree and can not find
employment. The demand for HPs has not reached a plateau but a
trough. I enjoyed my studies and would like nothing better than
working as a HP but I fear this will not happen.

After six years of schooling I have two degrees (B.S. Nuclear
Engineering), that without "experience", are of no use in this job
market. The DOE paid for my schooling (AHP Fellowship) and is unable
to hire me due to cutbacks and budget uncertainties. For these
reasons, I think it would be a great disservice to students for those
working in the field to encourage health physics as a profession until
something changes.

Christopher Pitcher, Never-employed Health Physicist
cdpitch@envc.sandia.gov

****These comments/opinions are mine alone****