Re: Multi-clinic Monitoring

> Date:          Thu, 4 Apr 96 12:20:19 -0600
> From:          FranzJosef@aol.com
> To:            Multiple recipients of list <radsafe@romulus.ehs.uiuc.edu>
> Subject:       Multi-clinic Monitoring

Each clinic is responsible for monitoring the committed dose;
however, you can make a strong arguement that if the individual is
not likely to receive more than 10 percent of their dose at your
facility you have no obligation to provide monitoring let alone track
dose at all clinical operations.

John Zummo has the solution to the paper work nightmare. We solved the
paperwork problem by insisting
that each clinic use the same monitoring service.  We then selected a
service that can provide a universal report through multiple sites.
> We have a fair number of cases where Radiologist X practices at Clinic A, B
> and C. Each clinic is a separate entity with respect to x-ray machine
> registrations so each clinic furnishes the radiologist with a separate
> personnel monitor (in our case serviced by three separate companies).
>
> It is known that a registrant must insure that the radiologist not exceed the
> allowable MPD dose equivalent from the use of registered machines at the
> registrant's clinic.
>
> This implies that it is possible for multi-clinic practicing Radiologist X to
> receive a total dose equivalent that exceeds the MPD-theoretically a
> cumulative dose Equivlent (DE) that is 3 times the allowable MPD.
>
> 1. Is a clinic responsible for gathering monitoring data from other clinics
> so that a global DE for Radiologist X is monitored by the clinic?
>
> 2. If the clinic is responsible for the monitoring of the cum. DE and
> Radiologist X's cumulative dose equivalent exceeds the maximum single MPD
> (5000 mrem) must all clinics refuse to allow Dr X from practicing even though
> the Dr's dose equivalent at each clinic is below the MPD?
>
> 3. Is Radiologist X soley responsible for keeping track of her cumulative
> dose equivalents received at all clinics? This implies that each clinic need
> only be concerned with the accumulated DE at their clinic.
>
> I would greatly appreciate any comments and assistance in clearing up this
> dilema.
>
> Franz St. George, Ph.D.
> Medical Physicist

Jerry Rosen