Re: Where To Get Experience

        I would like to second what Pete Myers says about Military Service
as a way to obtain experience.  To put a PLUG in for the Navy, our specialty
advisor is CAPT Richard LaFontaine.  His EMAIL address is:
nmc2lrl@bms220.med.navy.mil.

        The promotion opportunities in the Navy are similar to those in the
Army.  All services are "right sizing" (spell that DOWN sizing!) due to a
congressionally mandated reduction in end strength.  All Services are
hiring, so if you are GOOD, have a degree in Medical Physics, Health
Physics, Physics, Chemistry, .... and even in the Biological Sciences, give
DoD a try.  We are equal opportunity employers and are looking for the BEST
QUALIFIED.

        There is NO other place where you will be given the level of
responsibility and authority that comes with a commission in the Army, Navy
or Air Force.

        JERRY THOMAS

At 07:22 4/8/96 -0500, you wrote:
>One suggestion for a way to get experience is to apply to one of
>the military services to be brought on either as a Commissioned
>Officer, a Non-Commissioned Officer or a Department of the (Army,
>Air Force, Navy) Civilian.
>
>I have just had the honor and priviledge of serving with the Army
>Medical Department in a variety of assignments and can speak from
>personal experience about the opportunities available in that Service.
>
>     Persons with Technician-level training/education (Associates
>     Degrees) come onto active duty as Enlisted Personnel with
>     opportunities for promotion into Non-Commissioned Officer
>     status (Corporal or Sergeant) typically takes 1-2 years.
>
>     Persons with Bachelor Degrees in hard science (preferably
>     Health Physics) come onto active duty as Second Lieutenants;
>     persons with Masters Degrees as First Lieutenants; persons
>     with PhDs as Captains.  Promotions from 2LT to 1LT and 1LT to
>     CPT typically take 2 years each.
>
>Assignments are worldwide; mostly within medical programs.
>
>Pay and obligations (how long you commit to staying) vary -- but
>the opportunity for obtaining excellent experience as Radiation
>Safety Officers on Nuclear Regulatory Commission-issued licenses
>(after an initial assignment as an Assistant RSO (or comparable))
>while reaping the personal reward of selfless service to Country
>is unmatched anywhere on earth.
>
>If you're relatively young (<30), healthy and motivated you can
>contact Colonel Bill Johnson, currently assigned as the Radiation
>Safety Officer at Walter Reed Army Medical Center, who also is the
>Army Medical Department's point of contact for persons interested in
>joining.  His e-mail address is wjohnson@wramc.e-mail-amedd.army.mil.
>
>He tells me that 12 persons have already applied for or indicated an
>interest in the 7 available positions for this year . . . but, if
>you're good, go for it . . .
>
>Pete Myers, Cf, Med & Acad Licensing
>Bureau Rad Control, Texas Dept Hlth
>pmyers "at" brc1.tdh.state.tx.us

CAPT Jerry A. Thomas,  MSC, USN
Chief Radiological Physics
Department of Radiology/Nuclear Medicine
Uniformed Services University of the Health Sciences
4301 Jones Bridge Road
Bethesda, MD  20814-4799

mailto:thomas@bob.usuf2.usuhs.mil
Phone:   (301) 295-3246