Micro-Roentgen Radiation Monitor -> PC Interface

Has anyone on RADSAFE heard of this (Model RM-60) instrument ?

I believe the manufacturer is "AWARE Electronics".

I was reading some of the literature that was provided by the company and I
quote from part of it:

"...Approximately five years ago, we rented a section of warehouse from a
company involved with ceramics.  Specifically, they compound ceramic powders
and sands for use by the refractory business.  One of the co-owners, Wes,
was a family friend.  I can remember seeing Wes on the far end of the
warehouse, mixing his powders and sands, in a cloud of dust.  We would say
"Wes, shouldn't you wear a mask", to which he would reply "Not to worry,
this isn't asbestos and there's no danger of silicosis".  Later I happened
to bring an RM-60 unit to the warehouse and placed it on a skid of zirconium
sand from Florida.  To my surprise I discovered it was radioactive to the
tune of approximately 140 micro roentgens per hour.  I debated whether or
not I should tell Wes about it, but decided if the roles were reversed, I
would appreciate Wes telling me.  They called the supplier about it and they
replied "that's about the value we get in our warehouse but not to worry,
our sand doesn't kick up much dust".  I noticed from then on perhaps Wes was
more careful about handling his powders, but about half a year later Wes
started getting severe back pains.  A visit to the hospital revealed
cancerous tumors growing out of his spine.  He died a short time later.  I
conveyed this story to a customer, professor at John Hopkins Medical Center.
He said this type of cancer is most often associated with a radioactive
contamination."

What do you think?  I guess this is how radiation from naturally occuring
materials gets a pretty bad rap.  There are even more anecdotes similar to
this on the advertising brochure.

My opinion only, of course.

Blanchard                 /___\ /___\     NASA-Goddard Space Flt Ctr Nat'l
Health Svc, Inc              O             Greenbelt, Maryland     Sr Health
Physics Tech            / \            Phone: 301-286-9157
/___\
Tad.M.Blanchard.1@GSFC.NASA.gov