Old military Check sources.

{Original Msg: 'Old check sources' from <radsafe@romulus.ehs.uiuc.edu>
{
{Anyone know the identity of the radionuclide associated with an old
{"pencil" check source MX-1083/PDR-27 ?   Thx,   jimg@unm.edu

The rod check sources on the AN/PDR 27 series military GM units were
Ra-226 until about the early 70s when Kr-85 ones were indroduced to
replace the Ra-226 ones.  If the unit was produced in the last 15 years
then you almost certainly have the Kr-85.  If it's old, depending on the
history [if it was in the military and got a replacement Kr-85 rod]
you may or may not have a Ra-226 one.  The meters were made by Eberline
I think, they might have insight on a way to tell them apart.  I seem
to remember the Ra-226 might have been plastic and the Kr-85 metal [Al]
but I am not sure.  But I think those are your choices.

Peter G. Vernig, VA Medical Center vernig.peter@forum.va.gov

VA Medical Center, 1055 Clermont St. MS 115 - DISCLAIMER
Denver, CO 80220; 303-399-8020 x2447 FAX 393-4656 Opinions = Mine
FAX 303-393-4656, vernig.peter@forum.va.gov Opinions =/ VA or USA