Re: Dose during Mars trip

On Mon, 15 Apr 1996 rick_strickert@pc.radian.com wrote:
> Does anyone happen to know the approximate dose an astronaut might
> receive during a RT to Mars without extra shielding?   What increase in
> dose might be expected from a solar flare during the trip?
> Rick

According to the journal: Radiation Protection Dosimetry, Vol 20, No 3,
p133 (1987) -

The journey would be around 500 mSv (assuming a three year mission)

A suggested annual dose limit of 500 mSv

A suggested career limit of 4 Sv.

There may be more interesting stuff in the journal, I'll look it up if
anyone is interested.  (I summarised that info for 'educational' purposes
a year or two ago.)

Regards   Chris Davey  RSO  Cross Cancer Institute   Edmonton, Alberta

email:  cdavey@med.phys.ualberta.ca