Re: LSC Standards

At 09:44 1996-04-17 -0500, you wrote:
>John Harvey/Radsafe at large,
>
>I strongly suggest that you prepare the solutions yourself.  I have
>found significant differences in the calibrations obtained with the
>commercial sets and mine.  The reasons for the differences include:
>different volume of fluid, lack of water  (or other solvents in the
>solution), different LSC fluid (especially the non-tolulene based
>fluids), different vials, etc.
>
>Eliminate these uncertainties-make your own standards..........

What kind of standard solutions you can use depends on your samples for
which you want to make a quench curve. If you have an entirely organic
solution then you will have not much joy with tritiated water.....

If you can - or have to - afford NIST standards depends on the accuracy you
have to achieve. Try "Analytics" for certified standards. The address can be
found in "Radiochemistry and Radioactivity", or if you really are interested
in it, contact me at my e-mail schoenho@via.at and I´ll search for it. If
your need to achieve only lower accuracy I could provide you with some
information, but all these suppliers are outside the USA.

Franz Schoenhofer
Federal Institute for Food Control and Research
Head of Department for Radiochemistry and Radioactivity in Food.
Vienna, AUSTRIA
Christian Schönhofer
Habichergasse 31/7
A-1160 WIEN