Re: Review of Internal Company(Licensee)Audits by A Regulatory

Ms. Hamrick's reply reflects my understanding of the regulations.  It should be
noted, however, that NRC and Agreement State regulations are supportive of
"self-identified" violations, so one is encouraged to root out any programmatic
faults, note them in an audit process, and address them in a timely manner.  By
doing so, one reduces the severity of a potential violation.

Other regulatory agencies (such as EPA) do not take this approach, thus
self-identifying a violation is tantamount to putting one's head in a noose and
inviting the agency to kick the ladder out.  This creates a problem, as it is
tantamount to self-incrimination.  I believe that this issue is being
adjudicated at the present in several court cases(???).

I have generally opened any file an NRC or State Radiological Regulator wants
to see, as long as the inspector could demonstrate that his agency had
jurisdiction in the subject matter of the file material.

Jim Barnes, CHP
RSO
Rocketdyne Divison; Rockwell Aerospace