Documenting Surveys/Internal Audits

On our campus, the Radiation Safety Manual (which is a part of our license)
states that it is good practice to perform surveys after each usage of
radioisotopes.  It then goes on to say that documentation of surveys are
required only once a month UNLESS the labs usage of radioactive material
exceeds a trigger amount (5 mCi for most Isotopes).  If quantities greater
than the trigger amount are exceeded in a given week then surveys must be
documented for that week and if quantities greater that that amount are used
in a given procedure then a survey must be documented for that procedure.

Concerning internal audits... Most of our internal audits are required by
license conditions and are therefore subject to regulatory inspection.
If my understanding of Arkansas' Freedom of Information Act is correct
because we are a state funded institution anything we write down (including
the office lunch list, I am told) is subject to PUBLIC disclosure (unless it
is personnel information or trade secrets).

Chris Hogan
Health Physics Technologist
Univ. of Ark. for Medical Sciences
CCHOGAN@LIFE.UAMS.EDU

This message has not been reviewed or approved by my employer, standard
disclaimers apply.