The Search for a Real MicroR meter

        We've recently decided to aquire a microR meter mostly for use in
spot checking radiation levels just outside of our controlled area.  As I
went through the catalogs of instruments I found that most are NaI crystals
with just a regular scalar attached to them.  We're a small reactor
facility, since we deal with a wide range of isotopes calibrating an
instrument for a single nuclide is not an option.  A few SCA's built into
the meter might work, but it's not ideal.  The Victoreen 450P is the only
instrument I've found which actually measures dose in the microR range and
it's an ion chamber.
        So I have two questions.  Are there any other instruments availible
which have real dose measurement capability in the microR/Meters?  Does
anybody make a NaI based instrument which does a weighted average of pulse
size? List price under $1000 is a big plus but I know that's asking a lot.
        Second I'd appreciate any feedback about the Victoreen 450P.  On
paper it looks quite nice.  I'm particular interested in how robust it is
and how fast the response is.  Right now we're useing a CDV-718 and it's
response is too slow.  My limited experience with Victoreen instruments is
that they are fragile.

Many thanks in advance

Josh Filner (jfilner@reed.edu)
Reed College Reactor Facilty
Portland, Or. 97202 (503) 771-1112 x7858
http://www.reed.edu/~reactor