Re: The Search for a Real MicroR meter

We've used a Victoreen 450P for several years.  It's been reasonably durable,
and I certainly haven't treated it with special care.  I think the major thing
to beware of is that it takes a relatively long time after it's been turned on
before it's useable.  When it's first turned on, in an area in which there are
no sources of radiation to affect it, the display reads some value of mR/hour
and then immediately begins to range down.  After a minute, the display indi-
cates values of perhaps 30-40 uR/hr, and it's still slowly ranging down.  My
experience is that it may take a few minutes before the instrument has settled
down and is ready to use for measurements.

Sue Dupre/Health Physicist/Princeton University
dupre@princeton.edu