Re: ? RCM or RSO Pre-requisites

At 08:35 AM 4/23/96 -0500, you wrote:

>To me, the key aspect of this question is "experience" vs "education".  I
>think we agree that both are important at some level, but what level?.
>While I don't want to blur the issue, the related issue that concerns me is
>the increased emphasis in the DOE world requiring higher levels of basic
>education among technicians, e.g. RCTs, but also others.  I find that using
>deductive skills to bridge the large chasm between basic knowledge
>(fundamental physics) and application is difficult for some, and therefore
>we may not be doing everyone a service by forcing more basic education on
>them. What do others think?
>
>Stay safe, mike (mcnaught@LANL.GOV)

Sounds like the DOE is repeating what the civilian nuclear power plant
industry just went through.  Having spent a number of years teaching RPTs, I
have come to the conclusion that about 2% of the knowledge and skill an RPT
needs to perform their job can be presented in the classroom (theory).  The
rest (98%) must be covered in the field.  Not just on-the-job training (show
and tell), you have to work in the theory with the practical.  For example,
today I spent an hour discussing gas chamber detection theory with three
contract RP techs.  These techs have never had the opportunity to sit in a
classroom to obtain the theory.  What they know they have received from
other techs in informal sessions in the field.  Anyway, as part our
discussion I took a part an ion chamber to show them how the *theory* was
part of their everyday work.  The techs now have a better understanding of
what the needle indication means and what can affect the instrument.

I am moving away from teaching in a classroom environment to teaching in the
field.  This is more difficult preparation and presentation wise, but is
better received AND they rememeber what is presented!  There is probably
little you can do to change the course the DOE has set... just minimize how
far off track you go!  Remember...if they can't use it in the field the next
day it wasn't good training!

Tony Hedges
RPT  (instructor)
  loui19@vcomm.net