Re: ? RCM or RSO Pre-requisites

I would like to extend just a bit on Jim Herrold's note and my
earlier comment.  I stated that education, training and experience
had to be commensurate with the duties and responsibilities.

Note that those three items should not be taken separately, but
together. "Weaknesses" in one area can be compensated by strengths in
the others.  So just as someone with a degree in HP may not need quite
the work experience that a non-degreed individual needs, that non-
degreed individual can use training and experience to compensate for
the lack of specific education.

Sidenote: one of the best field HPs I've known never went to college
(Navy CPO and then years under a top HP).  Some of the worst field HPs
I've known were newly minted HP (M.S.) students.  However, the former
knew his limitations: he wasn't able to do detailed dose calcs or the
like (though his rules of thumb were solid).  The latter were just
like most new grads: they needed to learn that college didn't teach
them everything.  Once they actually start paying attention to what
"real life" was like, they have the capability to become much more
complete HPs.

So, once again: Training AND Education AND Experience.

Wes

Wesley M. Dunn, C.H.P.                     512-834-6688
Deputy Director, Licensing                 512-834-6690 (fax)
(Texas) Bureau of Radiation Control        wdunn@brc1.tdh.state.tx.us