Re: Re[2]: MONITORING UNIVERSITY HEALTH

According to Ronald Morgan:

> On April 30 Regis Greenwood wrote, in part:
>

> >IMHO, in the U.S. today litigation for fun and profit will be with us untill
> >their is some kind of cap on tort judgements.
> >

> A cap won't do it, IMHO.  Having the loser pay all (or a reasonable
> fraction) of the attorneys fees and court costs would go a long way to
> solving it, but the root of the problem, again IMHO, is irresponsible JURY
> MEMBERS (NOT judges, attorneys, etc.) who just can't wait to trash them big
> rich 'ol corporations and give the proceeds to that poor guy with the
> leukemia (or the broken back, burned hands, etc., pick your favorite
> malady).  As much as I like to bash attorneys, the fault lies with US (i.e.
> the general public).

This thread seems to have a life of its own.

I worked at ANI for 11 years and change and managed the HP
program for 5 of those years. So, the following is not opinion
but reality. At the time I left ANI (1990) all damages and
awards in litigation had been decided by judges, not juries.
So, the jury system works pretty darn good in this narrow
discussion. I am not sure what the track record is during the
past 6 years but I feel confident that it is not too far
different from that of the previous 11 years.

The net of the net is that a good program will stand up in
court. You may have to go there and defend yourself, but that
is part of the deal. The whole defense in depth thing also runs
into programs such as HP, operations, training and so on. The
whole premise of risk management is identifying those elements
in any program that can be challenged and plugging them. My
experience shows it works very well. Unfortunately, it is a
difficult concept to learn unless one has a reason to learn it.
Most technical people think in terms of technology as being the
be all and end all and that good technology should speak for
itself. It isn't so.

Rick Piccolo CHP, RSO
University of Virginia