Re: Design of Nuclear Power Plants

It seems to me that the two things (control rod design and positive void
coefficient) worked together to cause the power excursion.  The rods
inserted positive reactivity because of the positive void coefficient.  The
"displacer" section of the rods was graphite and was relatively weak
absorber compared to the water.  When the rods moved, the displacer pushed
out the water, causing the equivalent of a void (even though it wasn't a
steam void).

So, given a reactor with a positive void coefficient (a "less than adequate
design" to start with), yes the control rod design was flawed.

But that is not the same as saying that the rod design was the root cause of
the accident.  The report I have (NUREG 1250, is that outdated now?) and
other articles I have come across seem to indicate that "root cause" was a
total breach of all reasonable operational safety parameters brought on by
overconfidence.  The operators went way beyond the limit of safe operation
of the plant during the test.  Even though there were weaknesses in the
design, there's no reason to beleive the RBMKs couldn't have continued to
operate safely given properly trained personnel and the proper attitude
toward safe operation.  When you look at the sequence of events leading to
the accident, it's hard to imagine any better way to blow up a reactor.

I do not agree with the comment that the continued operation of the reactor
was not forbidden by operating procedures.  The operators had data showing
that they had lost adequate shutdown margin *before* the initiation of the
test.  No matter what the design of your reactor, when you're handed that
information, and you proceed with the test, it's not realistic to say the
accident was caused by poor design.

Standard disclaimers.
Keith Welch
welch@cebaf.gov