Copy of: DECLARED PREGNANT WORKER WAIVERS

Irene Sakimoto wrote:

Hi Radsafers!

I was wondering if any of you have a policy or a waiver statement that
each female radiation worker signs acknowledging that she understands the
new regulation about declaring herself as a pregnant radiation worker.

Our Radiation Safety Committee wanted to know if there is some legal
wording we could use and we are checking with our Attorney General.

Do you think this type of waiver is legal or necessary?

Please respond to me directly at my email address: isakimot@hawaii.edu

Thank you in advance!

Irene Sakimoto
University of Hawaii at Manoa
Environmental Health and Safety Office
2040 East-West Road
Honolulu, HI  96822
Phone: 808-956-6475
FAX: 808-956-3205
email: isakimot@hawaii.edu

Response #1:  TUTTLE,WILLIAM III
     You do not need a signed statement or waiver- Provide the training
,including the right to declare or not, as part of your initial and
annual refresher training for radiation workers, and document that each
worker has had the training. That, in my opinion, is sufficient. You
should, however, keep a copy of what you presented at each session to
document that the "pregnancy issue" was covered.
      William K. Tuttle III,PhD
      Radiation Safety Office, VAMC,Portland OR
      tuttle.w@portland.va.gov
This is my opinion only, not the VAs, not the Govs, etc.