Re[2]: Air Crew Rad Workers

     It would be very interesting to see a response from some of the many
     regulatory bodies that monitor this forum for their perspective on
     this question. I would agree that monitoring over a year would provide
     a significant amount of data, that can be stratified to identify
     exposure for various altitude flights over time as well as to what
     areas the flights accumulate the most exposure. It is still my opinion
     that there is no regulatory requirement to monitor these individuals.
     If there were one would expect that some agency would have already
     jumped into the fray. It just might be that the regulators don't know
     if it is within their jurisdiction to require the monitoring. I have
     read, and it has been mentioned here before that the astronauts can
     and have picked up some very high exposures during their missions.
     They are provided monitoring, I assume on all flights. Are they
     regulated by anyone? Are their records examined and a lifetime record
     maintained. That would be interesting information.

     Regards all,

     Sandy Perle
     Supervisor Health Physics
     Florida Power and Light Company
     Nuclear Division

     (407) 694-4219 Office
     (407) 694-3706 Fax

     sandy_perle@email.fpl.com

     HomePage: http://www.wp.com/54398/home.html

     Disclaimer: All opinions expressed here are mine alone

     I can think of a number of cogent reasons why monitoring of air crews
     should be done.  First, there may well be a regulatory requirment
     since exposures may exceed 25% of the annual MPD.  But that
     notwithstanding, it would be nice to accumulate the data for research
     purposes, a basis secondary to ensuring that exposures are minimized.
     Adjustment of flight schedules can reduce exposures to individuals.
     You should refer to the editorial I wrote in Health Physics about 15
     years ago entitled "What Is Occupational Exposure" for some other
     insights.

     Ron Kathren