Re: Deaths attributed to coal fueled power plants

Dear RAdsafers:
     Most of such estimates have come from promoters of nuclear
power.  Such figures usually include estimates for deaths due to coal
mining and chronic pulmonary disease due to coal mining, based on
outdated technology.  The best balanced estimate I can put my hand on
today is from the World Health Organization, REgionaal Office for Europe,
European Series No. 51, Geneva, "Nuclear Power and Health", 1994.
Chapter 5 deals with "Alternative Sources of Electrical Energy."
TAble 26 (p.119) citing Fritschke A.F. givs Deaths per GW(e) per year for
coal s the power source.  For workers it cites 0.1-5.0 for short term
and 0.1-1.0 for medium and long term ; for the public 0.1 to 1.0 for
short term and 1-10 for long-term exposure. Fritzsche, A. F. has an
article "The health risks for energy product" in the journal Risk
Analysis vol 9, pps 565-577, 1989.  Hope this helps.
   gjohn@bgumail.bgu.ac.il  John Goldsmith, Ben Gurion University