Antw: Definition of terms

> I am having trouble finding any information on these terms.  I am hoping
> someone here on Radsafe would be able to help me out.  I am studing for a
> test and cannot find any information on Rayleigh scattering, Thompson
> scattering, Mossbauer resonance scattering, and the definition of
> photodisintegration.  More or less,I would like to know thier meanings.
> None of my textbooks have anything on what it is.  Please do not refer me to
> a library.  The libraries in my area have little or no information about
> radiation concepts.   I know that they all deal with neutrons.
>
> Thank you to all who can be of some assistance to me.
> Yvette M. Anderegg  (LTC; Lakeshore Technical College)

Yvette,

You can find brief descriptions of Rayleigh Scattering, Thomson Scattering and
the Mosbauer effect in
W.R. Leo, Techniques for Nuclear and Particle Physics Experiments, Springer
Verlag, ISBN 3-540-17386-2, 1987.
W.S.C. Williams, Nuclear and Particle Physics, Oxford University Press, 1991,
ISBN 0-19-851999-0

Thomson scattering is the elastic scattering of photons by free electrons
Rayleigh scattering is the elastic scattering of photons by atoms
In both processes, the scattering is characterized by the fact that no energy
is transferred to the medium. The atoms are neither excited nor ionized and
only the direction of the photon is changed. At relatively high energies of
x-rays and gamma-rays, Thomson and Rayleigh scattering are very small and for
most purposes can be neglected.
Mossbauer effect: The phenomenon in which a nucleus emits a photon without
energy loss due to recoil if the host atom is securely located in a crystal
lattice

Greetings from Rotterdam, The Netherlands, Europian Union,

----

Richard van Sonsbeek

Ik controleer mijn mailbox meestal alleen 's avonds.
I only check my mailbox in the evening

Mijn zakelijke e-mail adres luidt: r.van.sonsbeek@rtd.nl
My office e-mail address is: r.van.sonsbeek@rtd.nl

adres/address: