Re: Re[2]: Air Crew Rad Workers

>   It would be very interesting to see a response from some of the many
>     regulatory bodies that monitor this forum for their perspective on
>     this question.

Here's an unofficial regulatory perspective (i.e., I work for a regulatory
agency, but am expressing my own views culled from my regulatory
experiences):  Title 10, Part 20 limits the scope of the regulations to
persons LICENSED...to receive, posess, use...[radioactive] material.
 Similarly, Calfornia's regulations limit their scope to "all persons who
possess sources of radiation..."  Airlines neither possess, nor are they
licensed to possess, use, etc. the cosmic radiation to which their employees
are subject (more intensely than the general public).  Therefore, they do not
fall within the scope of the radiation protection regulations.  This does not
mean that their exposures cannot or should not be monitored, but the
regulatory authority to require such monitoring is not in place.

Just my thoughts on the matter.

Barbara L. Hamrick
Los Angeles County Radiation Management
BLHamrick@aol.com