Re: Occupational Risks to Air Crews

	As with a number of other radsafe "problems" or threads
there is relevant experience with other agents than  radiation.
In this case the agent is ozone.  In the late 1970s when I was with the
California Department of Health in Berkeley we were approached by
unions representing cabin aircraft attendants who reported that with some
new aircraft and routes, nosebleeds, ey irritation and fatigue were
pronounced.  We recognized that the symptoms resembled those associated
with ozone and the aircraft were flying a greater part of their routes
at times and altitudes for which ozone was likely to be increased.
Boeing, the manufacturer refused to supply any information on
measured ozone levels. OHSA said that FAA had jurisdiction; FAA said
it was well informed about ozone toxicity. While the Health Deparment had
no responsibility, we did advise the union to conduct a survey of
symptoms in relationship to specific flights, which it did. (Publication
in Vol 1 No 1 of American Journal of Industrial Medicine, Dwayne Reed
first author). The interpretation we were able to make was that the
environmental exposures to ozone in these flights was such as to lead to a
health alert for persons with respiratory disease if it had occurred in Los
Angeles.
	Boeing wasted no time in redesigning the air inake for these aircraft
to correct the problem, and FAA documented the expected elevations in ozone.
After all, who wants to fly on a trip, airline, or aircraft, which exposes
cabin attendants to preventable risks ?  If the same conditions prevail now,
the occupational health risks are the responsibility of FAA.
  gjohn@bgumail.bgu.ac.il   John Goldsmith, Ben Gurion University, BeerSheva