Date: 5/13/96 5:56 AM
To: GORDON MILLER
From: radsafe@romulus.ehs.uiuc.edu
---------------------------- Forwarded with Changes
---------------------------
From: Thomas Denny at CC_TEN
Date: 5/10/96 6:59AM
To: ONEOFF_ADDR=BColenso@aol.com::route=EXTRN at ALISAMAIL
Receipt Requested
Subject: RADAR
---------------------------- Forwarded with Changes
---------------------------
From: <nobody@iron.nttc.edu>, Thomas M::(NBDYTM)  at alisamail
Date: 5/9/96 4:22PM
To: Thomas Denny at CC_TEN
The below message was posted to another reflector I am subscribed to. I
reposting it (with the author's permission) in the hope that someone out in
Radsafe-land may be able to help. As noted below, please respond directly
since

he is not subscribed here.
Thanks.

    ^   ^
   / \ / \
  /___0___\
     / \
    /___\

Thomas P. Denny III                    thomas.denny@rfets.gov
USDOE Rocky Flats (this message does not reflect any of their
policies, etc. etc. etc.)
N0WVU        DM79hv        SMIRK #5763        50MHz VUCC #749
Guantanamo Bay, Cape Hatteras, Flagstaff, Phoenix, Corvallis,
Tucson, Vallejo, Bremerton, Golden, Etc.

Date: Thu, 09 May 1996 20:22:48 -0400
--------
    I have another safety related question, and would appreciate as much input
as possible.
    I'm the electronics person on the test team that crash tests vehicles for
major car manufacturer.  The test vehicle is towed by a cable (the tow motors
can deliver 1200 hp), with the speed controlled by radar.
    I just learned today in a meeting that the radar is on continuously. (In
the
past, I thought it was turned off, and turned on as we were doing our pretest
countdown).
    The radar is K band (24 GHz) and has an output of 64 mW.
    In the coarse of setting up a test, I am regularly straight in front of
the
radar gun, only 10-12 feet away, for 15 minutes at a time, 2 or 3 times a
day, and am often positioned with it going straight into my head 6 inches
away.  This happens 5-6 days a week, month after month, year after year.
    Comments???  Concerns???
    The opening of the radar gun is about 2 1/2 inches.  Is there a way to
calculate the beamwidth (3 Db points)?
    Also, assuming that the intensity is inversely proportional to the square
of
the distance, is there a way to determining the safe distance for constant
(2080+ hours per year)  exposure.
    Thanks in advance.

Bob
KD8WU