DOT Regulations

The DOT regulations had an exemption for physicians transporting
radioactive material, as I recall.  Does this exemption still exist?  If
so, can someone please cite the 49CFR.

Also, if a limited quantity of radioactive material is packaged according
to 49 CFR 173.421 (requirements for excepted packages) can the material
be transported in a private vehicle, taxicab, city bus, subway train,
etc.?  My reading says that excepted material is exempt from any
restrictions on the type of vehicle.

Kent Lambert
LAMBERT@hal.hahnemann.edu

All opinions are well reasoned and insightful.
Needless to say they are not the opinion of my
employer. - Paraphrased from Michael Feldman.